the recent readings of adam

the following being a brief overview -with decription- of what i've read lately

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

"A man is known by the books he reads" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Logic: A Very Short Introduction

by Graham Priest

http://www.oup.com/uk/catalogue/?ci=9780192893208

Brilliant. This book covers most of the main aspects of Logic in a concise, but striaght forward manner. I admit, the book does assume some mathematical ability on the readers part, and in you are unfamiliar with any logic/math notation then the book could move at a quick pace. (I am quite familiar with all of the notation used in the book, so I had no trouble keeping up.)
In a way I can't really explain, reading this book felt a little bit like reliving a part of my life all over again. This book was basically a very short introduction to the Philosohpy Minor I did at UBC. It covered, in brief, almost every Philosophy class I took - Modal Logic, Game Theory, Symbloic Logic, ect. - each as their own chapter. Also, as a central theme running through-out the book, the writer continually approached different arguments for the existence of God from a logicians point of view - basically the idea behind the Philosophy of Religion class I took. Additionally, there was a chapter on proability which mirrored a Math class I took at UBC.
Reading the book was a little bit like a quick refresher in logic for me. I liked that. One of the later chapters even dealt with some topics I hadn't come across before and introduced some new concpets to me. The book is an excellent read for anyone interested in studying logic, or anyone who has studied logic - but I don't know if it would be very enjoyable to someone with no interest in the subject.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home