the recent readings of adam

the following being a brief overview -with decription- of what i've read lately

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

"A man is known by the books he reads" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, September 04, 2006

"The Elements: A Very Short Introduction"

by Philip Ball

http://www.oup.com/uk/catalogue/?ci=9780192840998

You don't have to be a chemistry geek to understand this book - heck you don't even have to be a science geek. (Being one probably just adds to your enjoyment.) This book is more of historical overview of how our understanding of chemicals and elements has evolved from ancient times to the present day.

The book contains a lot of interesting facts and trivia associated with many of the elements. I sure that Troë will atest to the number of times I stopped reading for a moment to tell her some random bit of information - like that South Africa is responsible for 40% of all the gold ever mined.

Overall I found it very engaging, and difficult to put down at times.

(This book is number 104 in the "Very Short Introduction" series published by Oxford University Press, and the first book of the series I've read. Book 104 may seem like an odd place to start - and that's probably because it is.)

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger adam said...

I actually pointed out "The Darkness That Comes Before" to Troë just last weekend when we were at a book store. I've heard it compared in caliber to Martin's books, and I keep planning on picking it up.

Thursday, September 07, 2006 12:05:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home